Top 10 Zinfandels Tasted in 2017
It is the time of the year where every wine blogger publishes their lists of Wines of the Year or Values of the Year, etc. Although I try to blog about all the wines I taste it is clear that Zinfandel is definitely my grape of choice. With that in mind here are my top 10 Zinfandels of 2017 and my rating for each.
The link for each wine will take you to the detailed Bottle Note on Zinfandel Chronicles. All of the older wines were stored in my cellar since release. Wines 3-10 all received 94 points and are not listed in any particular order. This is the 4th version of my Top 10 Zinfandel list.
- 2009 Turley Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard – 96 points.
- 2015 Bucklin Ancient Field Blend Old Hill Ranch Vineyard – 95 points.
- 2013 Matthiasson Zinfandel Limerick Lane Vineyard – 94 points.
- 2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Heritage Wine Pagani Ranch – 94 points.
- 2013 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Belle du Jour Vineyard – 94 points.
- 2011 Carlisle Zinfandel Saitone Ranch – 94 points.
- 2011 Ravenswood Zinfandel Old Hill Ranch Vineyard – 94 points.
- 2008 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Ranch – 94 points.
- 2015 Wonderment Wines Zinfandel Bacigalupi Vineyard – 94 points
- 2009 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Papera Ranch – 94 points.
A few observations after compiling the list:
- Matthiasson, Ravenswood and Bucklin all cracked the list for the first time going back to 2014.
- Carlisle, Williams Selyem and Turley are the only wineries represented in each list since 2014.
- 2013 looks to be shaping up as an exceptional year for Zinfandel.
- 2011 might be better than many critics thought.
- Montafi Ranch (Belle du Jour Vineyard) is my second favorite old vine Zinfandel Vineyard behind Papera Ranch.
- Old Hill Ranch Vineyard might be my third favorite vineyard behind Papera and Montafi
Last year’s list can be found here.
What was the best Zinfandel you opened this year?
If you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to Zinfandel Chronicles updates by email.