Top 10 Zinfandels Tasted in 2014
It is the time of the year where every wine blogger publishes their lists of Wines of the Year or Values of the Year, etc. Although I try to blog about all the wines I taste it is clear that Zinfandel is definitely a favorite grape of mine. With that in mind here are my top 10 Zinfandels of 2014. The link for each wine will take you to the detailed Bottle Note on Zinfandel Chronicles.
- 2004 Turley Zinfandel Hayne Vineyard – 95 point
- 2009 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Vineyard – 95 points
- 2012 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard – 94 points
- 2004 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Forchini Vineyard – 94 points
- 2006 Carlisle Zinfandel Montafi Vineyard – 94 points
- 2005 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Bacigalupi Vineyard – 94 points
- 2006 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard – 94 points
- 2011 Ridge Geyserville – 93 points
- 2008 Black Sears Zinfandel – 93 points
- 2012 Wonderment Wines Zinfandel Burton Ranch Vineyard – 93 points
As I reflect on the list a few things jump out at me:
- I am surprised there is only a single entry from Turley
- Zinfandel clearly has the capacity to gain complexity with bottle age
- Keep an eye on Wonderment Wines
What was the best Zinfandel you opened this past year?
If you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to Zinfandel Chronicles updates by email.