It is the time of the year where every wine blogger publishes their lists of Wines of the Year or Values of the Year, etc. Although I try to blog about all the wines I taste it is clear that Zinfandel is definitely my grape of choice. With that in mind here are my top 10 Zinfandels of 2020 and my rating for each.
The link for each wine will take you to the detailed Bottle Note on Zinfandel Chronicles. All of the older wines were stored in my cellar since release. Wines that received the same score are not listed in any particular order. This is the 7th version of my Top 10 Zinfandel list.
- 2018 Ridge Zinfandel Pagani Ranch – 96 points
- 2012 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Bacigalupi Vineyard – 96 points
- 2012 A. Rafanelli Zinfandel – 95 points
- 2013 Turley Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard – 95 points
- 2016 A. Rafanelli Zinfandel – 95 points
- 2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Limerick Lane Vineyard – 95 points
- 2015 Limerick Lane Zinfandel Rocky Knoll – 95 points
- 2015 Bucklin Ancient Field Blend Old Hill Ranch – 95 points
- 2012 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Papera Ranch – 94 points
- 2012 Carlisle Zinfandel Hayne Vineyard – 94 points
A few observations after compiling the list:
- Carlisle, Bedrock and Turley are the only wineries represented in each list since 2014.
- Don’t sleep on the Zins from Williams Selyem which is clearly known for being a Pinot Noir producer.
- The 17 and 18 vintages of Ridge Pagani, at 96 points each, are a clear must buy.
- Limerick Lane Vineyard has been well represented in the last several years with wines from Bedrock, AldenAlli, Matthiasson and of course Limerick Lane.
- This is not the first time Turley Pesenti has cracked my top 10. One of my favorite wines in their vast lineup.
- Papera Vineyard has been represented in every list since 2015 with wines from Bedrock, Carlisle and Williams Selyem
Last year’s list can be found here.
What was the best Zinfandel you opened this year?