The June Installment of Pick My Next Bottle focuses on Pinot Noir from the Sonoma Coast produced in 2015. As I mentioned in the first installment, the purpose of this series is to provide insight into specific wines or producers you may currently have in your cellar. The winning bottle will be opened this Thursday and a Bottle Note will be published shortly thereafter.
The Sonoma Coast appellation is the largest licensed American Viticultural Area (AVA) in the United States containing over 500,000 acres across 750 square miles. The “true” Sonoma Coast breaks into three regions: the northern region around the town of Annapolis off Sea Ranch; the central region with the oldest vineyards on the coast now referred to by some as Fort Ross/Seaview Road; and the southern region near the town of Occidental.
By most accounts the 2015 vintage is average to above average despite lower yields and a record early harvest.
- 2015 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast – The 2015 Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast) is bold, rich and dramatic, with darker tonalities of fruit than normal and exceptional balance. Black cherry, violet, tobacco and a host of savory notes meld together in this deep, expressive Pinot Noir. Rivers-Marie’s Sonoma Coast Pinot remains one of the best values anywhere in the world. The 2015 is a fabulous edition. 92 points from Vinous.
- 2015 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast – The 2015 Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast) is another terrific appellation-level Pinot. This is the first year in which the Sonoma Coast Pinot is more truly coastal, with more of an influence from sites in the Freestone area. Succulent black cherry, plum, hard candy and expressive floral notes are all supported by beams of firm tannin and lively acidity that add verve as well as freshness. 92 points from Vinous.
- 2015 AldenAlli Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast – Graceful and charming, with wonderful plum and wilted rose scents, and a trim beam of of lively cherry and raspberry offset by loamy earth and spice. Fine-grained tannins promise textural polish. Drink now through 2016. 92 points from the Wine Spectator.
Which 2015 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir Should I Open?
- 2015 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast (61%, 19 Votes)
- 2015 AldenAlli Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast (23%, 7 Votes)
- 2015 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast (16%, 5 Votes)
Total Voters: 31
Thanks for voting! I’d love to see a comment below on why you picked one bottle over another. Also, let me know if you have any suggestions for the July installment of Pick My Next Bottle.