Top 10 Zinfandels Tasted in 2016
It is the time of the year where every wine blogger publishes their lists of Wines of the Year or Values of the Year, etc. Although I try to blog about all the wines I taste it is clear that Zinfandel is definitely my grape of choice. With that in mind here are my top 10 Zinfandels of 2016.
The link for each wine will take you to the detailed Bottle Note on Zinfandel Chronicles. All of the older wines were stored in my cellar since release.
- 2008 Carlisle Zinfandel Papera Ranch – 95 points
- 2010 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard – 94 points
- 2008 Turley Zinfandel Zampatti Vineyard – 94 points
- 2008 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard – 94 points
- 2010 A. Rafanelli Zinfandel – 94 points
- 2012 Brown Estate Zinfandel – 94 points
- 2012 Ridge Lytton Springs – 93 points
- 2007 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Papera Ranch – 93 points
- 2012 Ridge Zinfandel Pagani Ranch – 93 points
- 2009 Outpost Zinfandel Howell Mountain – 93 points
A few observations after compiling the list:
- Papera Ranch very well might be my favorite vineyard for Zinfandel.
- Brown Estate should not be overlooked in a conversation of best CA Zinfandel producers.
- It’s not too late to track down any Ridge Zin from 2012. Ridge crushed it in this vintage!
- Monte Rosso is consistently the best Zinfandel from Bedrock Wine Co.
- Carlisle is the only winery with multiple wines in my Top 10 going back the last 3 years.
- 2008 was a better year for Zinfandel than the critics claimed it was.
Last year’s list can be found here.
What was the best Zinfandel you opened this past year?
If you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to Zinfandel Chronicles updates by email.