Many wine collectors, myself included, have the romantic notion of buying a case of wine from their child’s birth year to give them upon their 21st birthday. I’m not going to get into the wisdom of giving a 21 year old first growth Bordeaux, but I do like the thought of having some fun bottles on hand to open at birthday dinners, graduations, weddings, etc. Last year I put together a list for a 2009 “Birth Year” case, and thought I’d continue the tradition.
Collectors with children born in 2010 have a wealth of options as quality was high in most regions including Napa, Bordeaux and Chateauneuf du Pape. With high quality though comes high prices, so for this birth year case I am lifting the bottle price ceiling from $100 to $150.
My main criteria for inclusion is the likelihood of the wine to age gracefully over 20 years or more. For this particular case, I’m not going to include more than two wines from a single region. Most of these 2010 bottles listed are available at retail right now.
- Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon – Region: Napa Valley, Score: Wine Advocate 95+, Price: $135
- Betz Family Winery Pere de Famille – Region: Washington, Score: Wine Advocate 95, Price: $70
- Leoville Barton – Region: Bordeaux, Score: Wine Advocate 96, Price: $140
- Canon La Gaffeliere – Region: Bordeaux, Score: Wine Advocate 95, Price: $110
- Rieussec – Region: Sauternes, Score: Wine Spectator 93-96, Price: $80
- M. Chapoutier “Le Méal” Ermitage Blanc – Region: Northern Rhone, Score: Wine Advocate 96-98, Price: $140
- Domaine de la Mordorée “Reine des Bois” – Region: Southern Rhone, Score: Wine Advocate: 97, Price $110
- Vieux Telegraphe – Region: Southern Rhone, Score: Wine Advocate 97, Price: $80
- Joh Jos Prum Riesling Spatlese Graacher Himmelreich – Region: Germany, Score: Wine Advocate 92, Price: $33
- Mugnier Nuits-St-Georges Clos de la Maréchale 1er Cru – Region: Burgundy, Score: Wine Advocate 93, Price: $80
- Fontodi Flaccianello – Region: Tuscany, Score: Wine Spectator 96, Price: $140
- El Nido Bodegas El Nido – Region: Spain, Score: Not yet rated, Price: $120
What 2010 wines have you cellared for your children born in that year?
If you enjoyed this post please consider subscribing to Zinfandel Chronicles updates by email.